Monday, October 6, 2008

Hungarian or not?







I tried to exude exactly how Hungarian I am last week, and it failed miserably.  I wore my knee length boots to school with gauchos.  I thought for sure that if anyone could, I would be able to make it through the day in the boots – they have a heel that is only about 2 inches, so it shouldn’t be a big deal right?  After all, these Hungarians walk around in stilettos like their lives depend on them.  I have no idea how they do it, so I gave it a whirl.  What a mistake.  I was in pain after about the 4th lesson- don’t forget the fact that I had to walk the mile home after school was done.  Yuk.  I got home, changed shoes, and headed to Tatabanya for a trip to the Intersparr (the grocery store).  I had been thinking the whole way there about how I didn’t have a 100 Forint coin to put in a cart once I got there, and they pretty much don’t let you in unless you have a cart – so I plotted a way to buy something for cheap and secure the coin that I needed.  There is a coffee shop in the Intersparr, so I thought if I got a cappuccino or something, that’d give me the change back that I needed.  Wrong again – it was more expensive than I had anticipated, so I got bills and some 20 Forint coins back.  Dang.  Now what?  I just headed over to the carts in hopes that someone there would be able to provide change for my 200 Ft bill.  Once I got close enough to the carts, I realized that they in fact took a 20 Forint coin, not a 100 Forint coin.  Defeat yet AGAIN!  I literally had spent the last 1.5 hours thinking of the cheapest way to get a 100 Ft coin, and I never needed it.  Man. 

Thankfully there is one part of me that is definitely NOT Hungarian – my hair.  While it isn’t necessarily a masterpiece, it’s not a Mohawk or worse yet, a faux-hawk.  I snapped this picture the other day on the bus – to try and illustrate just how awesome their hair really is.  Red hair dye is on sale at Tesco this week… maybe I’ll have to get some!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thought of you this weekend because of TC marathon-- it was raining, but better than last years 90 degree race.
Enjoy keeping up with you through the blog,
CC