Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ugh...

So I have experienced enough cultural differences in this week to last me a lifetime.  Sadly, that won't be the case since I'm only a month in...

As I stated before, my students found my blog, and I think they mostly liked looking at the pictures of themselves on the internet - who knows.  But, they were talking about it, and my colleagues were curious about it as well.  So I gave some of them the site, and three of them spoke with me yesterday about their feelings.  Two basically just said, keep names out - we understand, but keep names out.  The third one said that she was offended multiple times over.  I still don't really understand why, I guess when I think about it, I have mentioned their dress- but that's all I can recall... she was mad that I mentioned her husband and thought I was being ironic when I stated "Sweet Hungarians" at the end of an entry about them helping me.  I was not being ironic.  I think that, at least in my family, we have some issues getting the tone across in typed form- so yesterday I made the site private.  I know it's a hassle for all of you, and I apologize, but I don't want to ruffle any MORE feathers here if I can help it.  

I did set up a blog that will be specifically for school stuff for the kids to look at.  I will most likely post similar information (in addition to the other stories) on this site, but I didn't want to leave them in a lurch wondering why they couldn't access the site they could before.  SO- I told them today that I had already put too much info on the site and that blogger wanted me to start a new one - so I did.  Hmph... 9th grade naivete?  I'm thankful for it. 

Today at school - the teacher who was REALLY mad approached me and asked about the cat, so hopefully things are smoothing out a bit.  Speaking of - Boo is in the animal hospital.  I brought her in yesterday with a sheet of broken Hungarian saying things about "vomiting and diarrhea - not eating - not drinking" etc. etc.  The receptionist recognized me, and probably thought about why I was back so soon.  At any rate, one of the vets spoke perfect English.  So after an hour of Boo squirming in my arms, we were seen by this guy who studied in Ohio.  He said that she looked skinny and needed some fluids (duh) so he'd keep her until Friday and watch her.  I don't know if it's after effects of the fall or what, but hopefully she'll be back good as new when Friday rolls around. 

So- at any rate, I think things will settle down a bit with the blog stuff... I hope anyways.  In the meantime, I'll continue to read the blogs of the other teachers here on my program who can blog freely about their experiences.  Hmph.

2 comments:

Christie said...

thanks for granting me access. you rule.

how's the kitty? it's friday!

Meg Tredinnick said...

I kinda figured that might be the reason for the access troubles;) Now worries, thanks for inviting:)